Monday, March 19, 2012

out of the blue..


Ballinascreen


Ten minutes out of Draperstown Michael taps me on the shoulder “Thought we’d get you something from the town Ma.  You’ve earned it.”


He puts a tape in my hand “Songs and Music of Ballinascreen”. It’s the property of Draperstown Library, where he and Anthony have been for the last hour or so.
We’ve driven from Malin Head the most northerly point of the country to Draperstown in County Tyrone. I’m travelling with my sons and it’s the second last day of the Irish trip. By the time we arrive in the town where my great grandparents once lived I’ve got a headache.  The final ten miles of the trip have been on the winding roads of the Sperrin Mountains.  As we drive, the stony hills give way to thick plantations of pine with their ugly clearings of scarred logs.  The town that’s signposted as the Home of Sperrin Metal has an archway of  trees.  Oak, elm, sycamore?  I don’t know. The branches criss-cross above the bonnet like panels of a green umbrella. Anthony finds a park in front of a butcher’s shop and I stay in the car resting while the boys go for a Guinness and a wander.  That stolen tape comes from the Ballinascreen library.


All I know about this place is that my great-grandparents were born here, and that they left in 1853, the year following their marriage.  My father urges me to go there when I leave home travelling at 23. Although I plan to go to Ireland not long after I reach London, somehow or other  I miss my chance. Now more than 30 years later here I am in the town with two of my sons. What happens that afternoon? Not a lot really. The headache makes it difficult to do much more than lie back in the front seat of the hire car and tell myself I’m resting on the road those Devlins might have gone along a century or so ago.  When the boys are out walking, I get out of the car and walk into the long grass to be sick.  I meet a woman called Mary selling potatoes from the back of an old farm truck who asks if she can help me. Mary is a woman of the fields, and on this particular afternoon tell her the dilemma I’m in about being here at last and not feeling well and she tells me I shouldn’t have waited so long to come to the town.  When I tell her about the Devlins connection she wonders if I mightn’t be related to Brad Devlin in the Post Office and tells the boys to look after y’r mother.  Make sure she gets better and bring her back again.


Then in the car on the road out of town, heading to Dublin  Michael gives me the tape.   I open the cassette cover and find a cream card with a handwritten list marking its lending history. From the first entry in February 85 to the last in May 95, it’s been borrowed 4 times. Something in that tiny number eases my conscience and I slip the tape into the slot and wait.  At first all that comes out is static then silence before the first song begins.  The Verdant Braes of Screen.   I stare out the window over the stone walls to green paddocks that run the length of the road into the hills beyond.  A piano echoes over wooden floorboards and accompanies the thin, high voices of a school choir.  The next song’s better.  A man’s plain, strong voice tells the story of Draperstown 1913.


This afternoon, March 19th 2012 I'm scrolling through old files and find this piece and read it through.  Later in the day the tape turns up.  On my desk.   Out of the blue.  True...

3 comments:

Ernest Bunbury said...

Ah My dear sister Kate you have the Gift of the wordsmith, the eye of a Hawk for detail,the mind of a scholar and the wisdom of an angel together with the beauty of May Queen...Long may you write and enchant us with your stories...much love E xxx

Unknown said...

Hello Kate,
My name is Teresa Mooney and I am from New York USA. My father came from just outside of Cookstown, Co Tyrone, NI. He had a sister that lived in the town of Ballinascreen aka Draperstown. Her name was Margaret Montgomery but she was also called Maggie and my father called her Peg. I remember visiting her on my first trip to Ireland in 1984. Following my maiden voyage to Ireland, I received as a gift the tape that your son presented to you during your visit to "Screen." It became one of my most treasured musical possession and I kept that tape safely guarded for years, that is until I played it for visitors we had that were on holiday from Draperstown. Well Kate, sadly that was the last I ever saw of my tape. No one in America had ever heard of Ballinascreen let alone an out of print tape, listed as "sold out" by the Ballinascreen Historical Society's web site. In hopes that you should read my comment I ask, provided that you still have this tape, would you consider making a copy of it? I will more than gladly send you the payment you determine as fitting. I was so attached to the simplicity and natural voices I heard from the kind of music that I love deeply. My parents and a large part of my father's side of the family have passed on, but I have returned to Ireland many times since 1984, and have connected with cousins. I have learned not only about the Mooney family, but the beautiful places that produced the many songs and stories as well. In hopes that you find my message in your inbox and may wish to reply, my email address is: tkm091@gmail.com I look forward to your reply. I am also on Facebook and you can see and learn about me there-just search for Teresa Mooney, White Plains NY and you should find me. I enjoyed reading your blog and perhaps my comment will encourage you to return to writing and update your blog. You are a beautiful writer Kate. Best Regards, Teresa

kate said...

Hello Teresa,
How lovely to receive your comment about Ballinascreen and to know of your connection with the place too. What a surprise to learnt the little tape has a hold on you as well. Yes, I do still have it and of course I will make a copy for you....
Just give me a few weeks to sort things out though... My husband and I have been on an overseas holiday and only got home on Thurs last . We had a wedding in Edinburgh Scotland and decided to build a holiday around it ..2 weeks in Italy, 2 weeks in England and 2 and a half weeks travelling around Scotland when the wedding celebs were over. A fabulous adventure!!! Arriving home has been a bit like re entering Earth's atmosphere after walking on the Moon...
As soon as things have settled I will get the tape copied. Need to get one of the kids to help me!!
And THANKYOU for your kind words re my writing. I wondered if anyone ever read my pieces and let go of the rope for a while..at least the blogging side of things.

Watch this space!!
Love Kate